Underwear as outerwear is back with a bang this Spring…
Fashion houses such as Dolce & Gabbana and Bottega Veneta showed this look on their catwalks for S/S2010 and right now the trend is everywhere, from yesterdays edition of This Morning to Lady (crazy) Gaga.
If you want to rock this look, you don’t need to go to the extremes of Lady Gaga though. You can take a leaf out of Yves St Laurens classy book; or head down the girly route like Christopher Kane. Gorgeous.
Top lingerie brand Rigby & Peller offer these must-follow tips for getting it right;
- Avoid Sheer Fabrics – coverage is best. A satin look is much more elegant and will avoid any ‘wardrobe malfunctions’. Satin is set to be a big trend for the coming season and into AW 10 and is a glam evening look.
- When looking to emulate the catwalk ‘underwear as outerwear’ trend, stick to neutral colours such as pale pinks, ivory, taupe and beige as seen from Dior and Givenchy. Black is also always a great option. Avoid acid brights, red and hot pink, as the aim is to look couture not vulgar.
- Draping is another key trend for Spring/Summer, and chiffon overlays and trims are a great way to incorporate this trend into your look. (The Rigby & Peller Vintage range includes a show piece for Spring, the chiffon ruffle strap padded balcony bra. The rouched straps and bow back in a delicate ivory chiffon are made to be seen and would look great with a low back or strapless dress).
- High Waisted 50’s style knickers as seen on Lady Gaga are still around and for the daring can be worn as hot pant style shorts. (The R&P Ruffle back knicker has stitched panels to smooth the silhouette. Team them with hosiery to avoid showing too much leg).
- 80’s style corset top is set to be big for the coming season. An underwear basque is a great way to tap into the trend. Basques are boned on the body so flatten the tummy and give everyone the perfect hourglass waist. They are available in lace or plain satin, and with our without straps. Fully underwired, they also lift the bust and give as much support as a bra.
- Traditional corsets such as the Vollers are designed specifically to be worn as outerwear. They fasten with a basque front and have pull in lace up back. They come in Plain Satin and are strapless, so make the perfect outerwear which can be dressed up or down as necessary.
What do you think of this trend? Let us know your thoughts below! x