We all know that celebrities pay thousands of pounds for an A list grill…those pearly whites don’t come naturally you know. It’s easy to see why tho. You just have to look at TV shows like the X Factor and Britains Next Top Model to see how sexy a nicer smile can make you.
A number of well know TV and music personalities admit to having upgraded their smile before trying to break into the American market – just the other day Tulisa was in the news having done just that (except they never actually managed to break the US – Oooops)
Unlike our American counterparts, however, us Brits aren’t known to have the best gnashers in the world and might need some additional help to make our gnashers camera ready. But what if you don’t have tens of thousands of pounds available to give your teeth the X Factor?
Here are some tips from leading cosmetic dentist Dr Richard Marques:
“Your smile says a lot about you” explains Dr Richard J Marques, leading aesthetic dentist based in London’s Wimpole Street. “It’s one of the first things people notice about you and it’s always on display. In fact, in a recent study conducted by a women’s lifestyle magazine, a person’s smile was second only to their personality when determining attractiveness. And a great smile isn’t all about good genes: there are a number of things that you can do to improve and maintain the appearance of your teeth and your dental health.”
1. Brush and floss your teeth twice a day. Brushing your teeth removes plaque (bacteria) that can cause tooth decay and gum problems. Brush using a fluoride-containing toothpaste to strengthen the teeth and prevent decay. It is best to brush your teeth in small circular motions on the tooth and gums. (An electric toothbrush can be a good idea as it performs the circular motions for you.) Flossing is also important as it gets out plaque from between the teeth where the brush can’t reach.
2. Avoid smoking. In addition to seriously harming your health, smoking stains your teeth and can affect your gums, too. Other things that stain your teeth include tea, coffee and red wine.
3. See your dentist for regular check-ups. Only a dentist can examine your teeth thoroughly and advise you of any potential problems before they get out-of-hand. At our dental surgery we examine the teeth carefully and use digital x-rays to check inside the teeth for holes that can’t be seen by the naked eye.
4. Have your teeth professionally cleaned. Certain stains can only be removed by deep cleaning done by a dentist or hygienist. At our surgery we use ultrasonic scalers to effectively remove build-up and stains from the teeth. We also have an airflow machine that uses small particles of sodium bicarbonate to gently remove stubborn stains for a glimmering smile.
5. Consider cosmetic dental treatments.
There are a vast range of treatments available to improve your smile. Marques offer veneers, dental implants, white fillings and tooth whitening among other treatments. Veneers are porcelain fronts that improve the shape and appearance of your teeth. Dental implants can replace missing teeth. White fillings restore your teeth in a natural-looking way. Tooth whitening can dramatically improve the colour of your teeth.
For more information, or to book your free consultation with Dr Marques please call